Linux is one of the most widely used core Operating Systems that acts as the layer between the software you interact and the hardware. The greatest benefit of using this software is users can get it for free as well. It is the most preferable choice for the users as a number of graphical environments are available for Linux. As a result, it becomes very easy to customize as per the user’s requirements.
It has been possible to run a traditional desktop on Chrome for the first time through the Linux. But unfortunately said the process is a bit difficult and tricky to configure if you never have any experience with Linux. But do not get upset about that. Here in this guide, you will find some incredible ideas to install Linux application on Chrome OS. This article also covers some important information to set up Linux container and configure Linux on Chromebook. So, have a deep look at the guide and execute exactly the same as stated below.
Set up the Linux Container
Linux application won’t be allowed by default. You have to turn it on manually. This involves a few simple tricks that are described in this section.
- The first thing you have to do is to turn on your device.
- Then click on the gear icon and open Chrome OS settings.
- A new page will be displayed on the main screen and you have to choose Settings.
- After that, scroll down to see the option of Linux app. Click on it and select the Turn on button. In case if you are unable to see the menu option, then assume that your device does not support Linux yet.
- Lastly, choose Install and click on it. Keep waiting for some time while the process is going on. It may differ depending upon the speed of your internet connection.
- When a terminal window appears on the screen, restart your device and check if you have successfully set up the Linux container or not.
Download Applications from Repositories
Through a software repository, users can easily install applications on Linux. You can install any software that is available through the Bedian software repositories as well. You need to follow the steps as given below to install the applications. GIMP is the most popular one amongst the others. So if you want to download this, then open the Command Prompt and navigate to the command box. Now type “sudo apt-get install gimp” and press the Enter key. In case you find it is not working for you, then uninstall it by putting “sudo apt-get remove gimp.” if you want to upgrade all the applications then type “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade” and tap on the Enter key.
This may be a tiresome process for you. But you can install any other apps that can also help you to find and download the packages without Terminal.
Download Gnome Software Center
As an alternative process, you can choose this one as it is equally helpful for you. To do so, the very first thing you have to do is to install the Gnome software center from the Store by following the command.
“sudo apt-get install gnome-software gnome-packagekit”
Now, press The Enter button after typing the above command in the Command Prompt. In case the Terminal is asking for an answer then choose Y and press Enter once more. After completing the installation choose Software that is shown in the app drawer. Click on that option and start Gnome Software Center. After finishing all the processes check a trial as well. Click on the magnifying glass icon from the top right corner and search for an application of your choice. You can see a list of most popular applications through the Debian repository. In case you are unable to do that, then restart your device and perform the same method once more.
Executing .deb Files
If none of the above methods are helpful for you, then you can go through with this one. Generally, you may get a .deb file when you install Linux app from any website. This is the installation package just like .msi or .exe file. First, navigate to the File browser and open it by clicking on it. Now, choose Downloads and then you have to copy and paste the .deb installation file in the Linux folder. After that, click on Linux files and right-click on the Trackpad. Finally, download the Beta version of Linux and open it from the app drawer.
To go through with the method you have to follow some steps. Here they are:
- First, turn on your device and click on the Start option.
- Then, navigate to the Command Prompt and type “sudo apt-get install flatpak” in the command box. Press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- After that, you have to add the Flathub repository that is stated below:
sudo flatpak remote-add –if-not-exists flathu
- Now, again hit the Enter key.
- At the final stage, restart your Chromebooks. Hopefully, from that time onwards you can install any application found on Flathub. But remember that you can only download Flathub through the command line on Chrome OS. You have to add the word “sudo” before entering any command.
Installing LibreOffice on your Chrome involves some simple steps. Follow the procedures exactly the same as stated in the section below.
- First, open the Terminal application using Chrome OS launcher.
- Now, copy and paste the command “sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa” and hit the Enter key.
- Now type sudo apt update and again press the Enter key.
- Finally, you have to type “sudo apt install libreoffice” and press the Enter button.
- If it’s prompting for a reply then press the Y key on the keyboard and keep waiting till it completes the installation process.
Hopefully, the above processes will help you to install Linux applications on Chrome OS. But in case you face any difficulty while performing the steps, then do not feel twice to get in touch with us. If the article is helpful for you then leave your valuable words in the comment box and let us know your feedback.