Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernel and if you have the latest version of Chrome OS and the new Chromebook, you can now install some of the best applications that Linux offers. Google allows the support for Linux applications on Chrome OS. Although this feature is especially for developers who want to use Android Studio for Pixelbook, there are many applications that can be useful for ordinary users. We already have a Linux installation guide for Chrome OS. However, if you are not sure what to try, you can find the correct procedure in this article. Linux applications are very different from ordinary desktop software, both in terms of titles available and how to find and install them.
Before you start, make sure your Chromebook can run and manage Linux applications. If you haven’t already done so, click the step-by-step guide to get started.
The Best Linux Apps for your Chromebook to Consider
We have listed the best Linux applications for your Chromebook. Have a look at the applications cited below,
GIMP (GNU Program Manipulation Program)
Over the years, one of the common complaints against Chrome OS has been the lack of professional photo editing software like Photoshop. Even though you can try installing Photoshop through CrossOver for Chrome OS, there is something that works better, GIMP (the GNU Program Manipulation Program). It is unquestionably one of the excellent free photo editors and absolutely the best for Linux. In addition, GIMP is a very strong tool. You can use various layers of images, paint with different brushes, obscure parts of the image, and more. Moreover, it can save and open many different types of file, including JPEG, XCF, PSD, PNG, BMP, WebP, and more.
Follow the steps as mentioned below:
- The GIMP version of the Debian storage consists of several basic versions. Therefore, it is recommended to download the Flatpak version. If you have not set up Flatpak, then type ‘ sudo apt install flatpak’ to run this command in the terminal.
- Then press the Enter button and wait for some time to complete the process.
- Again type ‘sudo flatpak install https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref’
- When prompted to confirm installation, press ‘Y’ on the keyboard and then hit the Enter button.
- Once it is done, then you will see the GIMP icon appear on the Chromebook. When you open it for the first time, it is suggested to activate one window mode if it has not been activated.
There are several email applications for Chromebook, but the majority of them don’t function properly on big screens. If you need an email client for a desktop computer with a fair interface, Geary might be your best choice. This application has been developed by the GNOME project. This includes multi-account support, hangout views, keyword search, and more. Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Outlook, and more are supported by IMAP. The only big problem with Geary is that Chrome OS notifications cannot be displayed.
Here is how you can install Geary on your system. Follow the steps given below:
- Open the Terminal app.
- Type ‘sudo apt install geary’ and press the Y key to confirm the installation and then hit the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Once it completes, now you can see the Geary icon will display on the Chrome OS.
Microsoft Office and Google Docs Online are the quickest ways to edit Chromebook documents. However, you cannot open the file format. You also have limited functionality when offline and need to upload every file you want to work on. LibreOffice is an open source office suite that works on different desktop platforms. It contains a word processor (Write), a presentation editor (Impress), a spreadsheet program (Calc), and a vector graphics editor (Draw). Moreover, it manages various file formats, including Microsoft Office, WPS Office, WordPerfect, Apple Pages / Keynote / Numbers, StarWriter, and more. In addition, LibreOffice is a VLC document.
To complete the installation process, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch the Terminal app in your Chromebook
- Write ‘sudo add-apt-repository PPA:libreoffice/ppa’ command and then press the Enter key.
- Again, type ‘sudo apt update’ and then hit the Enter key.
- Type ‘sudo apt install LibreOffice’ and then press the Y key to confirm the installation and then hit the Enter button from your keyboard.
- Once the download is complete, then the LibreOffice icon will appear on the Chromebook.
Evolution: A Standalone Email and Calendar Program
Evolution is the best Linux email client to consider for Chromebooks. It brings your e-mail, contacts, and calendar along with tasks and notes to an interface like Outlook that is fast and easy to use. This works well with Gmail or other standard IMAP or POP accounts.
Follow the undermentioned steps to complete this application installation process:
- Open the Terminal Command.
- Type ‘sudo add-apt-repository PPA:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging’ and then press the Enter key.
- Again type ‘sudo apt-get update’ and then hit the Enter.
- Type ‘sudo apt-get install evolution’ to run this command. Press the Y key to confirm the installation and then press the Enter key.
FileZilla: An Effective FTP Client
FileZilla is an FTP client that simplifies data transfer between your server and your Chromebook.
Follow the steps which are mentioned below to install FileZilla on your Chromebooks:
- At first, launch the Terminal command
- Type ‘sudo apt-get update’ and then press the Enter button.
- Again type ‘sudo apt-get install FileZilla’ and press the Y key to confirm the installation and then press the Enter key.
Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio has a number of great features, such as debugging, automatic matching of popular languages, default terminals and Git support. You can combine more features through additional themes and extensions.
In this section, you are going to know the installation process of Visual Studio Code. Follow the steps below:
- Go to the official page of Visual Studio to download it.
- Click on the ‘.deb’ button
- Once the download is finished, copy the ‘.deb file’ to the ‘Linux apps’ folder in the Chrome Files app, and double-click on it.
- Now you should see the installation page opening. Click on the Install option.
- Once the installation process is completed, a Visual Studio Code will display in the Chromebook.
In this article, we have discussed about the best Linux apps for your Chromebook. In addition, we have also mentioned the installation process of these applications. Hope this article as a complete guide in finding the most useful and widely used Linux apps for your Chromebooks. With the guidelines provided, you should be able to easily install them on your Chromebooks for a better and wholesome experience.